Tuesday, February 6, 2007

VJ Hunt '07

There is just so many things that I’d like to tell the world about the VJ Hunt that I don’t even know how or where to start. I don’t know how I’d express all my thoughts in an uncluttered manner. I do think that people tend to be speechless not because they have nothing to say but because there are so many things running in their minds that they do not know how they’d get it all out, not forgetting every single detail.

For fear that I might miss what I really wanted to say, I’ll start it of with this statement: I am so proud and honored to have been part of this production!

My statement may sound cheesy and the word “honor” may sound too big for a school production but for those who have failed to be a part of it, put your shoes in ours and you’d say exactly the same or even more.

For the benefit of people who are not from AUF, and those from the University but are not well informed, VJ Hunt is an annual University-based competition organized by the SAMASKOM, or Samahan Ng Mga Mag-aaral sa Komunikasyon. The chief in-charged of the production would be the 3rd Year Mass Communication Class of the year. In short, we are in-charged.

It’s primary objective is to discover students with the passion and skill for speaking not only in public but also in front of the camera and give them the opportunity to expose what they have. Who knows, they might be the next big thing like our very own Donita Rose and KC Montero of MTV.

Although VJ Hunt is an annual event, it has been reinvented this year. The competition has been opened to high school participants all over Pampanga. Four high schools namely Special Science School, Pampanga High, L’Altra Montessori and AUF Integrated School have competed in the pair category while seven college representatives competed in the solo category.

Another element which has just been added is the “theme”, which was “Retro”. It was certainly a great proposal. But as much as I loved the idea of having a theme, I was kind of hesitant. Designing and setting the stage wasn’t the dilemma. It may be tough but it was fun and we know that everything will eventually come into place. What made me kind of hesitant about the idea was requiring the participants to dress up ala Retro. Primarily because they might have to spend for their outfit. And also, we Filipinos have this characteristic of always being on safer side. We have this mentality that if we dress up, we’d be noticeable in a negative manner, that we’d fail to try out new things and always stick on what is basic. But they totally proved me wrong. I was extremely thrilled to see the finalists in their Retro costumes. They all looked fabulous!

I really appreciated how these people exerted efforts on looking and being their best despite the fact that even if they win, the only thing that they will get, besides from fame and pride is a very simple trophy, no cash, no freebies.

I really loved all the finalists. They were not only competitive. They were both interesting and interested. They were fun to work with, easy to instruct and more than willing to make our work lighter. They have been very patient, understanding and appreciative. It was a school competition, so as expected, we wouldn’t have the budget for perks. So seeing them build friendship between their co-candidates and knowing that they were having fun and they were learning would have meant a lot for them but more especially to us. It’s one of the factors why we feel fulfilled.

After weeks of labor and months of planning, the VJ Hunt has finally happened. It wasn’t exactly as organized as we wanted it to be but we believe that it was successful and above the average. We received a positive feedback from the audience and our mentors. We were so happy. The outcome was worth the stress, not to mention, the pimples. But I’d be a lot happier if I didn’t get more acne. Well, that’s life! I am just so proud of our accomplishment. It has been a product of our education, experience, determination and most important of all, unity…

Congratulations ABMC 3! I love you all!

No comments: